carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Eternal Kiss of Darkness by Jeaniene Frost

Eternal Kiss of Darkness  - Tavia Gilbert, Jeaniene Frost

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I enjoyed this book even more than I did the first time I read it. It is not my favorite book in the Night Huntress Universe but I thought it was a worthy addition to the overall series. I only gave this book three stars the first time I read it and it turns out that I didn't remember much of the book so maybe I was distracted the first time I read it. I had a nice time with Mencheres and Kira's story.

Mencheres is old, like really old, and he has a bit of a death wish. Kira stumbles upon him while he is under attack and makes an effort to save him. As a result, she is pulled into a world of vampires that she didn't know existed. Before everything is settled, she will be put in a lot of danger and her world will be forever changed.

I liked getting to know Mencheres and Kira better. I think that Kira's personality really shined in this book while Mencheres remained more of a mystery. I would have liked to see more of Mencheres's thoughts a bit earlier but before it was over we do get to learn what he is really thinking. I thought that they had good chemistry and I liked them together. I do think that a little more history on the feud between Mencheres and his opponent would have made this book even better.

Tavia Gilbert continues to flawlessly narrate this series. She really has done a great job of bringing this story to life. I love the voices that she uses for all of the different characters and how consistent she has been with them. She has a very pleasant voice that I found easy to listen to for hours at a time.

I would recommend this series to others. I do recommend reading this book after the earlier books in the Night Huntress Universe since many of the events and characters play a part in this book. This was an exciting listen from beginning to end and I cannot wait to continue with my re-read of the series.

Initial Thoughts
I guess I liked this one a little better on this re-read than I did when I originally read it. It's not my favorite in the series though. I liked Mencheres and Kira and loved the parts that Vlad, Cat, and Bones played in the story. I didn't remember much of this book so it felt pretty new to me. I thought that Kira handled everything well all things considered. Tavia Gilbert did a fantastic job with the narration which is probably the biggest reason for the book gaining a star this time around.

Book Source: Library