carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

More to Love by Alison Bliss

More to Love (A Perfect Fit) - Alison Bliss

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had some issues with this book. This was really more of a 2.5-star read but since I am feeling generous, I am rounding up. I have had a review copy of this book for quite a while but hadn't had the chance to read it so I decided to pick up the audiobook and give it a try. I thought that the narrator did a great job but I just couldn't ever get completely behind this story.

Jessa was great. She was confident and an all-around nice girl. She worked hard and wanted to play by the rules. She wasn't afraid to take risks or go for what she wants. And then there is Max. Max ruined this story for me. He lies when he meets Jessa and doesn't stop lying for the whole book. Jessa deserved better than that.

I did enjoy seeing Jessa connect with the people in town. I also thought that Max and Jessa had great chemistry and there was some potential for their relationship. My problem is the Max waits way too long to come clean and his lies go on way too long. He even takes steps to keep the deceit going after he has started to get involved with her. There were just a lot of lines crossed in this story. Every time Max had an opportunity to come clean with Jessa and didn't take it, I lost some respect for his character. By the end of the book, I had no respect left. Jessa deserved better.

I thought that Violet Strong did a great job with the narration. Her narration was one of the highlights of the book. She did a great job with the character voices and had a great reading voice. I had no problem listening to her narration for hours at a time. I wouldn't hesitate to listen to more of her narration work.

I think that there are some readers that will enjoy this one more than I did. I have a hard time with romances where one character is deceiving the other so this one didn't work for me. I haven't quite given up on this author and would love to try more of her work in the future.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Forever (Grand Central Publishing) via NetGalley and purchased a copy of the audiobook.

Initial Thoughts
More like 2.5 stars but I am rounding up because the narrator did a good job. I didn't like Max at all. It is really hard to fully enjoy a romance when one of the characters is completely unlikable. Max is lying for almost the entire story and I think that it was a big enough deception to make it hard to want to see this relationship work. Jessa was great and I think she deserved better.