carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Priest of Lies by Peter McLean

Priest of Lies - Peter McLean

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This book was amazing. I loved the first book in this series, Priest of Bones, so I was really looking forward to reading this installment. I had incredibly high expectations for this book and it not only met but exceeded those expectations. I actually spent a little more time reading this one than I usually would but I really enjoyed being able to savor this story and make it last just a little bit longer. I haven't been this excited about a new series in a long time.

This is a very dark fantasy. The story is often brutal and some of the situations feel almost hopeless. I really appreciate the fact that this series has proven to be a little more violent than your average fantasy. Despite the title, this is not a religious tale. Not at all. Yes, the main character, Tomas, is a priest but he is not a particularly religious one. He may listen to your confession but he is also just as likely to use his daggers when an example needs to be made. I think his role serves to make his character just a bit more interesting.

This book picks up shortly after the events of the first installment. This is a series that really needs to be read in order. Tomas and his gang have taken back their part of town. Not only are they trying to hold their area, but they are also following the orders being handed down by the Queen's Men. Things are never easy and there always seems to be a fight to tackle.

This story is told from Tomas's point of view. He is a natural leader that isn't afraid to make the difficult choices. He doesn't explain himself and demands complete obedience. One of Tomas's biggest strengths is his ability to pick the right people to support him and lead by example. He knows what to share and what to keep to himself to achieve the results he needs.

This story was really exciting. I thought that there was a really good balance of action and political maneuvers. There were times when I had no idea how things would work out and I found myself worrying about Tomas and his crew. There were some pretty surprising moments and some interesting character developments that kept everything really interesting.

I would highly recommend this series to fans of dark fantasy. I really would like to see this series in the hands of more readers because it is simply amazing. I cannot wait to read more of this fantastic series!

I received a digital review copy of this book from Berkley Publishing Group via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
This was incredibly good. It took me a little bit longer to read this one than usual but I enjoyed savoring this story. I never wanted to put this book down and enjoyed every single page. Tomas is a wonderful character and I loved seeing him maneuver through various tricky situations. I love the world that this story is set in and the characters are phenomenal. This book could be quite brutal at times and there were plenty of exciting scenes. I liked the first book in the series just a hair more than this installment but they are both solid 5 star reads for me.