carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Gentleman Nine by Penelope Ward

Gentleman Nine - Penelope Ward

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I liked this book but maybe not quite as much as I had hoped that I would. I am not going to lie - the cover of this book is what got my attention. I would bet that cover model has grabbed the attention of more than a few individuals over the years so I feel no shame. I had not tried Penelope Ward's writing before but I do love the narrating pair of Andi Arndt and Sebastian York so when I saw this book on sale, I grabbed it. I found myself in the mood for something light so I decided to give this one a try and I did end up enjoying the story.

This book has a little bit of everything worked into the story. It is a friends to lovers story with the let's be roommates twist. There is a love triangle thrown into the book before everything was over. Plus there is a cute kitten because kittens make romances even better. Throw in a little friends with benefits action and you have pretty much summed up this book. Don't get me wrong. I liked this book but I think it was just way too predictable. I just didn't feel like there was a much that was new or original.

Amber has been friends with Channing for years. Growing up it was always Amber, Channing, and Rory. Amber and Rory dated for 9 years but have recently broken up and when Channing needs a place to stay in town, he calls Amber. Channing has secretly wanted Amber for years but Rory got the girl and he didn't interfere. But now that they are no longer together, all bets are off.

I liked Amber and Channing. They were both great people and I felt like they deserved each other. They did have a lot of chemistry and it was pretty obvious early on that they had some pretty strong feelings for each other. There were a few bumps in the road but it was fun to watch them find their happily ever after.

I thought that Andi Arndt and Sebastian York did a fantastic job with the narration. I really think that their voices work really well together in this kind of book. They both do a great job with a variety of voices and are very pleasant to listen to. I probably liked this book just a bit more because I decided to listen to it.

I would recommend this book to others. I would have liked for a less predictable story but the one that I got was perfectly pleasant. I wouldn't hesitate to read more from Penelope Ward.

Initial Thoughts
I thought that this was okay but fairly predictable. Nothing in the story really surprised me but it was a pleasant enough story. Channing and Amber were nice enough characters and I did think that they had good chemistry. I could have lived without the love triangle that was worked in before the story came to an end. I thought that the narrators did a great job with the story.

Book source: Audible purchase