carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Purloined Poodle by Kevin Hearne

The Purloined Poodle - Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was fun! I kind of jumped ahead by reading this one when I did but I have no regrets. I needed a shorter audiobook that both my daughter and I could enjoy on a short road trip. We started another book and both hated that narrator so I downloaded this book and decided to give it a try. I think it worked well out of order although a few things in Atticus's personal life were different than in the earlier books. We both had a lot of fun going along for the ride as Oberon worked to solve the mystery with a little help from Atticus.

I have enjoyed the books that I have read in the Iron Druid Chronicles so far. My favorite part of the series has been Oberon from the start. When I found out that there were stories from Oberon's point of view, I knew that I had to have them in my life. It turns out that this story was just as good as I had hoped it would be. I just love the Oberon looks at the world.

Oberon and Atticus learn that several champion dogs have gone missing and they decide it is time to help figure out what is going on. It was a fairly involved mystery that involved a lot of pretty awesome dogs and a lot of excitement. It was great meeting Starbuck and I thought he was the perfect addition to the cast. I loved the way that Oberon and Atticus worked together along with Starbuck to get to the bottom of the missing dogs.

Luke Daniels did an amazing job with this story. I think that he does a great job giving a dog the voice that is just perfect for his character. I could have easily listened to this book in its entirety if my life would have made it possible. I thought his delivery was very well done and I love the way he delivered the more comical parts of the story.

I would recommend this book to others. I think that readers of the series are not going to want to miss this one. Readers new to the series could start with this book but it is really best to read these books in order. I can't wait to read more of this exciting series.

Initial Thoughts
I know that I read this one kind of out of order but I had a feeling that it would stand up on its own and it did. This was the perfect story to keep me and my daughter entertained during a shorter road trip. I found myself laughing a time or two and the mystery was interesting. I felt like this was about the right length for a story from Oberon's point of view. The narration was fantastic!

Book source: Audible purchase