carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Twelve Slays of Christmas by Jacqueline Frost

Twelve Slays of Christmas: A Christmas Tree Farm Mystery - Jacqueline Frost
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had a fantastic time with this cozy! I had heard some really good things about this book so when I noticed that my library had a copy of the audio available, I decided to give it a try. I was not disappointed. Once I started listening to this book, I didn't want to put it down.

Holly White has moved back home after her fiance decided to break things off just before the wedding. It works out that she is home just in time to help out during the busiest time of her at her parents' Christmas tree farm. When someone is murdered at the farm, things change quickly and everyone is a suspect. In order to get the farm open again, Holly decided to look into the murder herself and things get even more interesting.

I loved the characters in this book. Holly really felt real to me. She was smart and well-adjusted. I loved that she had a great relationship with her parents. Her parents were wonderful and I thought the way they wanted to protect Holly felt very authentic. Sheriff Evan Grey was great. I really appreciated the fact that he was a capable officer. He was calm and seemed to be able to handle just about anything. I really liked the relationship that developed between Holly and Evan over the course of the story.

I liked the fact that the mystery kept me guessing until the very end. There were quite a few possible suspects and a whole lot of people in town that had some kind of motive for the murder. There were several characters that I didn't completely trust. As new developments were discovered, I found myself trying to piece everything together but I couldn't figure out exactly what happened in this story until the big reveal was made.

This was the first time that I have listened to Allyson Ryan and I thought she did a wonderful job with this book. I found the voices that she used for the characters really added to the story. I thought that she did a great job of expressing the characters' emotions through her reading. I thought she had a very pleasant voice that was easy to listen to for hours at a time.

I would recommend this book to others. I thought that this was a very well done cozy mystery and would be the perfect choice for the holiday season. I am looking forward to reading more in this series very soon.

Initial Thoughts
I had a fantastic time with this cozy. The characters in this book were wonderful and I loved seeing them interact at the Christmas tree farm. I was stumped by the mystery for most of the book but had a lot of fun mistrusting some of the possible culprits. I really enjoyed all of Sheriff Grey and Holly's scenes together and couldn't help but hope for something to develop between the two of them. The narrator did a great job with this one and really brought the story to life. I do hope to listen to more of this series.

Book source: Library via Hoopla