carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

As Shadows Fade by Colleen Gleason

As Shadows Fade - Colleen Gleason

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I ended up liking this book quite a lot. I have really had a great time with this vampire hunter series set in the Regency period and I was eager to see how everything would wrap up in this final installment. I had some ideas about where things might go in this book and I wasn't completely wrong but there were more than a few surprises worked in along the way as well. I am pretty satisfied with how everything came to an end.

Demons are making their way into the world. Demons are a danger not only to humans but vampires also have a lot to lose with their increased presence. Demons are hard to fight and even harder to overcome. There are a few special items that could help in defeating this enemy but in order to use them, Victoria and the other vampire hunters must enlist the help of one of their greatest enemies, Lilith, the vampire queen. I couldn't wait to see how things would finally wrap up with this master vampire and seeing the members of the group working with her was intense. She has had such a unique hold over Max throughout the series and I knew that things would get exciting when the vampire hunters were finally able to deal with her.

The characters in this series are really well done. The group of vampire hunters were on the road for much of this book so there were not quite so many characters throughout the book as some of the other books. Victoria has become such a strong leader and is willing to sacrifice if that is what is required of her. I do like the fact that she does still want things for herself and actively works to make those things happen. Max has been through a lot over the course of the story and he takes on another huge obstacle in this installment. He has proven that he will do whatever it takes to help make the world a safer place. Sebastian has also changed throughout the series. He isn't as afraid to show how much he cares and actively pursues what he wants in this installment. He is also a very brave man that can be very honorable when given the opportunity.

My one complaint about this book was the love triangle that took center stage at the start of the book. I really wish that this element to the story would have just been left out. One love interest was more than enough in my opinion. The love triangle was really set up in the previous installment in the series but this was where things were really dealt with. Victoria knows what she wants and doesn't waver in that decision which I really appreciated. I was pretty sure how the romantic element of the story would pan out before I ever started reading this book and I was right for the most part. The way that story worked out in the end made the whole triangle make a lot more sense to me and I was really satisfied with how everything turned out.

I would recommend this series to others. This is the fifth and final installment in a series that really does have to be read in order since each book builds on the last. I have had such a great time watching this group of characters change and learn to work as a team to make the world a safer place. I definitely plan to read more from Gleason very soon.

Initial Thoughts
I ended up liking this one. At the start of the book, I was a bit disappointed that the focus seemed to be almost entirely on Victoria's romantic life. I would have been happy to just leave the whole love triangle thing out of this series. The book did get back to the vampire hunting action I wanted to see and there were a few surprising revelations. All in all this was an exiting story.