carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Last Move by Mary Burton

The Last Move - Mary Burton

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I thought that this book worked really well. I have only read one book by Mary Burton before starting this one but I enjoyed it so I was pretty eager to pick this one up. I was really pulled into the story from the start and ended up listening to the entire book in just a couple of days. This was a book that I wanted to listen to for hours at a time and completely enjoyed the experience.

Kate is an FBI agent and we learn pretty early on that she handles some pretty difficult cases. She is called to a crime scene in Texas that has all of the trademarks of another criminal. A criminal that Kate put behinds bars. She has to figure out what is going on quickly before anyone else is harmed.

Detective Theo Mazur is a divorced father who has recently moved to Texas to remain close to his daughter. He is the new guy at the department, having left a more prestigious position in Chicago, and reaches out for help to the FBI just as soon as he sees the similarities between his case and the notorious killer.

I thought that Kate and Theo made a great team. I liked how their partnership seemed to work from the very beginning. I was completely hooked by the case. There were so many twists and turns that I couldn't figure out how things would work out. I liked that there were a few other issues that they were dealing with outside of the case because it made the characters feel a lot more authentic. Kate's past, her relationship with her family, and Theo's desire to stay near his daughter were all not only interesting but each topic added to the overall story.

Teri Schnaubelt did a wonderful job with the narration. There is a pretty large group of characters in this story and she made each one of them come alive. I was completely engaged in the story from the very start and found myself hanging on every word. I wouldn't hesitate to listen to more of her work in the future.

I would recommend this book to others. I thought that this was a fantastic mystery thriller with just a bit of romance worked into the story. The romance was a very minor but quite natural element in the book. I found this book to be rather exciting and hard to put down. I hope to read more from Mary Burton soon.

I won a digital copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway and borrowed the audio from Kindle Unlimited.

Initial Thoughts
This was really good. The crimes in the story kept me guessing and completely engaged. I thought that the characters were very well done and I thought they worked well together to solve what was going. The book was exciting with a nice variety of crimes to keep things interesting. I thought that the narrator did a fantastic job with the story.