carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Hot Winter Nights by Jill Shalvis

Hot Winter Nights - Jill Shalvis

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I just loved Molly and Lucas! I think that I had a big old silly grin on my face the whole time I was reading this book. I went into this book with some pretty high expectations since I have enjoyed each of the previous installments in this series. I have to say that I think that this might be my favorite book in the series so far. I really found this book to be an absolute delight.

This book is the sixth book in the Heartbreaker Bay series. I really do think that this book would work perfectly well as a stand-alone. Some of Molly's history is dealt with in the previous book in the series but anyone new to the series could easily learn the details right along with Lucas without impacting the enjoyment of the story. Readers of the series will enjoy getting the opportunity to check in with all of the characters from this wonderful series.

This book in a very entertaining manner. Lucas wakes up to find a woman in his bed but has no memory of what happened or who is actually snuggled under his blankets. Of course, it was Molly and she has some fun with it. Molly really wants to work cases instead of just being stuck in the office so she takes a case on her own pitched to her by a group of senior citizen elves working for a questionable Santa. Lucas is given the task of keeping an eye on her to make sure she is safe.

I just loved Lucas and Molly together. Everything about their relationship felt authentic to me. I really liked that they were playful at times and serious during others. They both just seemed to understand the other and paid attention to details that others seemed to miss. They have both dealt with some pretty horrible things in their past which has caused them to guard their heart a little more than most. Molly has a lot of insecurities in regards to her previous physical injury and resulting limitations but Lucas doesn't see weakness, instead focusing on her strength.

I thought that the mystery element of this book was really well done. They do spend quite a bit of time working the case which ends up being a lot more involved than originally thought. There were a few pretty suspenseful moments and just enough humor to keep things really interesting. By the end of the book, I was cheering Molly and Lucas on as they got to the bottom of the bad Santa situation.

I would recommend this book to fans of contemporary romance. Jill Shalvis has crafted a wonderful tale that has the perfect balance of romance, suspense, and humor with this book. I cannot wait to read more from this excellent series.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Avon Books via Edelweiss.

Initial Thoughts
Oh my gosh, I just loved Molly and Lucas! The case that they were working on was actually a lot of fun but the best part of this book was these two together. They have both been through a lot in their lives and I thought that they fit perfectly with each other.