carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

In the Heir by Ruth Cardello

In the Heir (Westerly Billionaire Series Book 1) - Ruth Cardello

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really enjoyed this audiobook. This was my first experience with Ruth Cardello's writing and I am very happy that it turned out to be a positive one. I actually won a copy of the second book from the series but decided that I wanted to start at the beginning which turned out to be a very good choice. I ended up listening to the book in only a couple of days because I was having such a good time with it.

I went into this book expecting a romance and it did deliver on that expectation but I was surprised that the story surrounding the Westerly family would be such an important element in the story. When Delinda Westerly offers an early inheritance to the first grandchild who marries and invites the rest of the family, Spencer and his friend, Alisha, make plans to walk down the aisle. They are not in love but are great friends so they see no problem with the arrangement.

Brett meets Alisha through Spencer and can't get her out of his mind. Alisha isn't afraid to stand up to the anyone and does just that when it can protect those that she cares about. When everything falls apart, Brett is the one who is there for Alisha and I loved watching their connection to each other grow. I thought that these two characters worked really well together and I liked how they seemed to bring out the best of each other.

Terri Clark Linden did a great job with this book. I thought that she handled a pretty diverse cast of characters very well and brought a lot of emotion to the story. I have listened to her work several times and have always found her narration to be very pleasant to listen to.

I would recommend this book to romance fans. I thought that this story was really compelling and filled with wonderful characters. I plan to read much more from Ruth Cardello in the future.

Initial Thoughts
I really liked this romance. Brett and Alisha were both fantastic characters that I wanted to see work things out. They were both so giving and really cared about the people they were close to. The family drama in this one was pretty complex with a lot of side characters experiencing a lot of pain along with Brett and Alisha. I thought that the narration was very well done and added to the enjoyment of the story.

Book source: Kindle Unlimited