carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Under Control by Shannon Stacey

Under Control - Shannon Stacey

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really enjoyed this romance. I have had this series on my radar since it got started and have even collected a couple of the installments but have never had the chance to pick one up. I am so glad that I finally jumped into the series. I am happy to report that this book works perfect fine as a stand alone despite being the fifth book in the Boston Fire series. I had a lot of fun with this really well done novel.

I found that this book felt really authentic. I can't think of single thing that happens in this story that didn't feel like it could happen in the real world. I loved the fact that Derek is divorced with kids that are the center of his universe. Since I was a divorced mother of a 4 year old child when I met my husband, I could completely relate to the way he was trying to find the right balance. I also loved the way that Derek and Olivia met. I was once stuck in an elevator and while I didn't have a firefighter there to rub my feet while we waited for rescue, I did have a whole crowd of firefighters gathered to rescue me so I could totally see their meeting happening.

Derek and Olivia were both great characters. Derek is a firefighter and divorced father of two. He has a great relationship with his ex-wife which did seem to make everything a bit simpler. Olivia is a highly organized and driven business owner. Her life is scheduled down to the last detail and she likes it that way. This pair had some great chemistry and there were plenty of steamy moments. There really wasn't any manufactured drama in this one which their biggest obstacle being trying to figure out how to blend their very different lives with each other.

I would recommend this book to others. I had a great time spending time with Derek and Olivia and my heart may have melted just a bit as they fell in love. I do want to read more from Shannon Stacey very soon and will probably start with the earlier books in the series.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Carina Press via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
I really enjoyed this book. I think one of the things that I liked the best about the story is the fact that the characters felt very real and the issues that the had to work through were ones that I could easily relate to myself. Derek and Olivia were great together and I loved how his kids were a big part of the story.