carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The History of Jane Doe by Michael Belanger

The History of Jane Doe - Michael Belanger

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

There was a whole lot to like about this book. I decided to read this book largely because I was intrigued by the cover. I mean why would a green cow be on the cover of this book? I had to know. Once I started reading the story hooked me right away and I didn't want to set the book aside. There is a so much more to this book than the green cow on the cover. This was an emotional story filled with wonderful characters I wanted to pull into a big hug before I turned the final page. I am so glad that I took a chance and decided to read this wonderful story.

This book is told in alternating chapters of before and after which I think worked really well. From the start, you know things around going to work out the way you would want. But you also get to see everything as it starts and the comparison was very powerful. The book does handle a lot of difficult topics and I think it does a really good job keeping everything realistic.

I liked Ray and his friend Simon from the first page. These characters were just fantastic and you couldn't help but cheer them on. Jane fit in with the pair almost perfectly. There was a bit of mystery around Jane and it was apparent early on that she was hiding a few things but her friendship with Ray and Simon felt very authentic. It was so easy to envision this group of teens trying to navigate life in Burgerville. I think that Simon and his love of milk caused more than a few laughing fits from this reader so expect a dose of humor in the story as well.

I would highly recommend this book to others. This book deals with so many difficult issues in a seemingly expert manner. I fell in love with the characters and wanted to see things work out in their life. I will definitely be reading more from Michael Belanger in the future.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Dial Books via First to Read.

Initial Thoughts
There was a whole lot that I liked about this book. The characters were great and I found myself liking them almost instantly. I thought that the way the story was told in alternating chapters of before and after worked really well and I just had to know what happened to Jane. I thought that the book dealt with some very difficult topics very well.