carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Girls in the Garden by Lisa Jewell

The Girls in the Garden: A Novel - Lisa Jewell

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I thought that this was a good book overall. I have heard great things about Lisa Jewell's writing and decided to give her work a try with this book. For some reason I never seemed to be able to fit this book into my reading schedule so I decided to listen to the audiobook. While I didn't love the book, I did enjoy the hours that I spent listening to it.

This book takes place with a community garden at its center. Families have grown up around this garden where children have been free to play and watch out for each other. This book does have a rather large cast of characters and we hear from several main points of view. Pip is a new resident and doesn't seem to fit in quite like her older sister, Grace. Adele has lived in the community for a long time and is the mother of some of the girls that Grace has become friends with. Clare is Pip and Grace's mother and has recently had some major life changes and is trying to find her way.

The book opens with Grace being found after an attack then goes back to the events that lead up to that moment. Despite the fact that I knew there would be some excitement, I found that the book seemed to move pretty slowly. There were a lot of characters and I never really connected with any of them very well. There were a lot of side stories that were interesting but never seemed to take the book to the next level for me.

I believe that this was the first time that I have listened to Colleen Prendergast's narration. I thought that she did a good job with the story overall. There were a few times that it took me a moment to determine which character's point of view the book had moved to. I did think that she had a nice quality to her reading voice and it was easy to listen to this book for hours at a time.

I would recommend this book to others. This wasn't a favorite for me but it was a quality story that did keep me guessing. I definitely plan to read more of Lisa Jewell's work in the future.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Atria Books via NetGalley and borrowed a copy of the audiobook from the library via Hoopla.

Initial Thoughts
This was okay for me. I liked parts of the book more than others. There is a pretty large cast of characters that play a role in the book and I honestly never connected with any of them. I thought that the book was rather slow at times and somewhat easy to set aside. The mystery did keep me guessing until the end. I thought that the narrator did a great job with the story.