carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Iron and Magic by Ilona Andrews

Iron and Magic -  Ilona Andrews

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

Of course I love this book! How could I not? I have been really eager to get my hands on this book and love the fact that the whole concept started out as an April Fool's joke. Being the awesome people that the writing team of Ilona Andrews are, they decided to make this book happen when their fans showed a desire to read it. I did wonder how I would feel reading an entire book about Hugh. Hugh is one of the bad guys! I can tell you that I enjoyed every single moment reading this book.

This book is set in the same world as the Kate Daniels series. I do think that readers could enjoy this book without reading this series but I think it would work best if read in order. If you were to read this book before reading Kate Daniels, there would be quite a spoilers for the series. Plus Kate Daniels is awesome and you don't want to miss those books.

Hugh is one of Roland's men in the Kate Daniels series and as I said earlier one of the bad guys. As I read this book, I started to understand Hugh and some of the things he has done made more sense. At the start of this book Hugh is pretty much at rock bottom. His men are doing well and he knows that he needs to do something to improve the situation. He makes a deal with a village to offer protection in exchange for food and shelter by marrying Elara who has her own set of abilities.

Hugh and Elara were so much fun together. They bickered constantly and I have to say I loved every moment of it. I don't know if I have ever had so much fun watching two people fight. Despite their disagreements they grow to have a mutual respect for each other. They also quickly prove to be very honorable and committed to making their agreement work.

This book had everything I was looking for. There were some pretty comical scenes with great banter. The characters were wonderful and I really getting to see a few favorites from the main series make an appearance. There were some exciting action scenes and a finale that blew me away. I can't wait to read more about this group of characters.

Initial Thoughts
Of course, I loved this book! I wasn't sure that it would happen but Hugh won me over before the end of this book. Elara was great and I loved watching her interact with Hugh and take care of her people. This book had a whole lot of excitement and kept me guessing until the very end. I thought that the way that Elara and Hugh bickered with each other really added to the overall charm of the book.