carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Blossom Street Brides by Debbie Macomber

Blossom Street Brides: A Blossom Street Novel (Blossom Street, #10) - Debbie Macomber
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was just okay for me. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. This isn't normally the kind of book that I would pick up but I added it to my so be read list several years ago largely because of my mother. When this book was being released, my mother was undergoing chemotherapy during her third battle with breast cancer. I took her to all of her doctor appointments and chemo treatments so we spent a lot of time together and she loves Debbie Macomber's writing. I added this book to my review pile due to my mother's recommendation but I accept full responsibility for letting it linger there for years. I did like the book and am glad that I finally picked it up.

This is one of those books that tells several somewhat connected stories. I don't always care for this method of storytelling because I often like one of the plot threads more than the others and the book's momentum seems to slow down with the focus is switched. I had those issues with this book and think that I would have enjoyed the book a lot more if one of the stories would have been the primary focus of the book.

Lydia, Lauren, and Bethanne all share a love of knitting and know each other through their hobby. Lydia runs the local yarn store and is dealing with some issues in personal life with her adopted daughter and her mother's health. She is also trying to solve the mystery of the knitting baskets showing up all over town tied to her store. Lauren is ready for a long term relationship and decides to move on from her boyfriend and then quickly meets Rooster and finds that he may be the man she needs in her life. Bethanne and her husband live in different states due to work obligations but are deeply in love. Bethanne's daughter and ex-husband are adding an extra set of challenges but they are determines to make things work.

I liked all three of the stories but the book as a whole just felt too sweet. It really shouldn't have been a surprise that the book read like a Hallmark movie since several of her books actually are Hallmark movies. As I worked my way through this book, some of the characters just seemed unrealistically nice and conversations didn't always feel authentic because everyone was just a little too perfect. There were a few characters that were causing problems and being difficult but the overly sweet tone of the book never seemed to subside.

I have listened to Cassandra Campbell's narration in the past and have always enjoyed her work. She had a pretty large cast of characters to deal with in this book and I thought she did a great job of it. There were times that I thought that the narration was a little too saccharine but I really think that this was due to the dialogue more than anything else. I wouldn't hesitate to listen to Cassandra Campbell again in the future.

I would recommend this book to readers that like a sweet and clean story. I did want to see everything work out for the characters and liked the book overall. I don't think that there is anything ground breaking in this book but it was a nice story.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine via NetGalley and borrowed a copy of the audiobook from the library via Overdrive.

Initial Thoughts
I will be honest....I didn't love this. I didn't hate it but this really is not my kind of book. I requested this one from NetGalley over 4 years ago probably because I was spending a whole lot of time with my mom who was going through chemo at the time. My mom loves Debbie Macomber's books but I think that this was just a little too sweet for my tastes. Even the narration of the audio sounded overly sweet at times.

ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley and audiobook borrowed from the library via Overdrive. Full review to be posted soon.