carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Speakeasy by Sarina Bowen

Speakeasy - Sarina Bowen

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I loved this book! May and Alec were just great together and I really loved that this story was a little different. I only recently stumbled upon this series when I read the fourth book, Bountiful, and immediately fell in love with the characters, the setting, and the style of storytelling. I have since went back and read the first book in the series but I can assure you that each book in this series works well as a stand alone story. Readers of the series will enjoy getting to catch up with favorite characters but anyone new to the series will have no problem jumping in with this book.

I was hooked by this book from the very beginning. Alec sees someone he thinks he knows kissing the wrong person in his bar one night and knows he has to do something about it. He doesn't get the chance to figure out what he should do because the person being cheated on walks in a sees everything for herself. Alec stops things from getting out of control and helps May move back home that very night.

I thought that the chemistry between Alec and May was very well done. Even when May has just been hurt by her girlfriend's betrayal, I thought that these two worked very well together on the friend level. Alec just seemed to know how to be the support that May needed at that point in her life and she accepted him in that role. I liked how open these two were with each other from the very beginning and how they just seemed to have a lot of fun together.

When things heat up and they decide to act on their attraction, Alec and May just seemed to fit each other perfectly. On paper, these two shouldn't work. May is a recovering alcoholic while Alec owns a bar. May is bisexual and always thought she would end up with a woman but Alec is definitely all man. I had such a good time watching them try to figure things out and was cheering them towards their happily ever after.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of contemporary romance. I had a fantastic time with this book filled with wonderful characters, steamy moments, a few laughs, and scenes that melted my heart. I can't wait to read more from Sarina Bowen very soon!

I received a digital review copy of this book from the author.

Initial Thoughts
I loved this! May and Alec were great together and I liked that the story was a little different than the norm. The chemistry between them was amazing and I really enjoyed watching them figure things out. Getting a chance to visit with the other character from the series was a nice plus as well.