carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Marek by Sawyer Bennett

Marek: A Cold Fury Hockey Novel (Carolina Cold Fury Hockey) - Sawyer Bennett

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I liked this book but I do have to say that it is my least favorite book in the series so far. I was really excited about this book from the set up of the story that occurred in the previous book in the series, Reed. This book is the eleventh book in the series but it would read perfectly well as a stand alone because everything that is important to the story is included in this volume. That being said, the previous book got me really excited about this book despite the fact that I knew there was going to be a secret baby, which is a trope that only rarely works for me. I did enjoy this book even though I had a few issues with it.

My biggest problem with this story is that Marek and Gracen have the same argument over and over throughout much of the book. I get it that this is a really big deal to get over and it could never happen overnight. It just became a bit tiresome to read about this pair having the same issue coming up time and time again. I would have loved to see a little more of Marek getting to know Lilly or maybe a bit more of the three of them together. We do get to see some of this happening but I think that would have been a more powerful way of seeing them come together instead of the rehashing the same argument time and time again.

My other issue with this book was that Marek was a bit of a jerk at the start of the book. He brings Gracen and Lilly to his house and then promptly makes sure that he is never home to spend any time with them. I understand that he didn't know how to deal with the situation but how on earth can you get to know a child you are never home to be around. It just didn't make sense to me. Thank goodness Reed was there to put him in his place.

Marek and Gracen did have some great chemistry together and I really did like their interactions when they were not arguing with each other. These two have been through a lot and they really had to take some time to be able to be together while staying positive. I would say that the last third of the book or so was when things started to work for me a bit better. I liked the way they eventually were able to appreciate each other again.

I think that other readers might like this one a bit more than I did. This story did have some great points with a cute kid. a few rather romantic moments, and some pretty hot interludes. I can't wait to read more from Sawyer Bennett very soon.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
This wasn't my favorite book in the series but I did enjoy it. Maybe 3.5 stars? I might round up once I have some time to think about it a bit. I knew going into this book that there would be a secret baby. That is not my favorite trope but I liked the way that things were set up in the previous book so I decided to give it a try. Marek and Gracen have more than a few issues with each other but they do seem good together and their chemistry is off the charts. Lilly was adorable.