carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Aftermath by Kelley Armstrong

Aftermath - Kelley Armstrong

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This book was truly great. I have to admit that when I first saw that this book would involve a school shooting I was really nervous about reading it. Did I really want to read a book about such a terrible event especially in the current climate? I really wasn't sure but I decided to add this book to my reading schedule because I wanted to see what Kelley Armstrong could do with such a terrible event. I haven't read too many books written by Kelley Armstrong but I have really enjoyed the ones that I have read so I trusted that she would deliver a story worth reading. This book ended up being one of those books that are almost impossible to put down. I am so glad that I decided to give this one a try.

As previously mentioned, this book does involve a school shooting so I was really afraid that it would be one of those books that would break my heart to pieces. In some ways, I guess it did because I hated everything they had gone through but it wasn't the traumatic reading experience that I had feared it would be. The focus of this book is Skye, the sister of one of the teens responsible for the school shooting that tore her hometown apart just a few years earlier. Skye is forced to move back home with her Aunt and go back to the school with the same kids who knew her brother and what he did.

Jesse was Skye's best friend and was possibly becoming more when everything happened. His brother was one of the victims and his life is completely different than it was before the shooting took place. Jesse not only lost his brother but also his best friend when Skye's family quickly left town. Jesse isn't really sure what to think about Skye's return to their hometown.

This book was a whole lot about the characters. Spending time with both Skye and Jesse as they work through their thoughts and feelings about everything going on was very eye opening. This book was also a really well done thriller. I think I might have actually missed the fact that there was some new issues when I first read the book's summary but I was quickly caught up in the events surrounding Skye and Jesse. I had a few suspects but I was never quite sure who was responsible for all of the things going on and I found myself completely glued to the pages. I really liked how Skye and Jesse were able to reconnect as they worked to figure things out.

I would not hesitate to recommend this book to others. I found this to be a thought provoking page turner filled with wonderful characters. I can't wait to read more from this talented author.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Random House Children's - Crown Books for Young Readers via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
I really enjoyed this rather exciting book. This story wasn't what I thought it would be. It was a lot better than I expected. I had no idea this would be a thriller but once things started happening, I didn't want to put the book down. I liked Syke and Jesse and was really hoping that things would work out for them. I was able to guess a few things that happened in the book but I was still completely entertained.