carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Killman Creek by Rachel Caine

Killman Creek - Rachel Caine

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was really good. I didn't like it quite as much as the first book in the series but I still liked it better than most books I pick up. After the events of the previous books, I was really eager to read more of Gwen's story. Once I started listening to this audiobook, I found myself totally immersed in the story because if I wasn't listening to it, I was thinking about it. I really ended up enjoying this installment in the series.

The biggest difference between this book and the previous one is that this book is told from several points of view. The first book was told entirely from Gwen's perspective so I kind of expected this to do the same. I ended up really liking the fact that the author decided to mix things up a bit in this book by using not only Gwen's point of view but also including each of her children and Sam in the mix. This was really a different kind of story and I think that having the other perspectives made the doubts between the characters feel much more realistic.

I found much of this book frightening to think about. Of course, the thought of being married to someone that turns out to be a serial killer is scary but this book went beyond that. I haven't really considered how technology could be used against an individual and how helpless anyone is to stop it from happening. I know that a lot of bad things happen online so the descriptions of the dark web in this story were hard to think about.

I was happy to see all of the key players from the first book back for this installment. It was nice to get to spend a little bit of time in the heads of Lanny, Connor, and Sam. Lanny and Connor have been through a lot and have been changed by things outside of their control. I would expect them to have mixed feelings about a lot of things so it was nice to get to really see what they were thinking. There were times in this book that I didn't care for some of the things Sam was doing or thinking but I understood his doubt.

I liked that this book used four different narrators to tell the story. Each narrator handled all of the chapters told from their character's point of view and I think that they all did a great job representing their character. I thought that they each brought a lot of emotion to the story and each had a very pleasant speaking voice. I wouldn't hesitate to listen to more from any of the four narrators that worked on this book.

I would recommend this book to others. This is the second book in the Stillhouse Lake series which I think is best read in order. This book did come to a very satisfying conclusion and I am looking forward to reading more in the series as soon as it is available.

Initial Thoughts
This was good. There were a few things in the story that were rather scary to think about. I was a little surprised to get different points of view in this book since the first book was told entirely from Gwen's perspective. I do wonder if there will be more books in the series since the end of this book felt rather final. I kind of think that this family needs to live a peaceful life after all that has happened to them.

Book source: Audible purchase