carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Envy of Angels by Matt Wallace

Envy of Angels - Matt Wallace
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was just okay for me. I have heard great things about this series so this book has been on my to be read list for some time. I bought a copy of the book but had not had the opportunity to sit down and read it just yet so when I saw that the audiobook was available through my library, I decided to go that route. It is a rather short piece so I was able to finish it in just a couple of days. I didn't fall in love with this book but did enjoy some aspects of the story.

This book was weird. I like weird books so that shouldn't have been any kind of problem but this book is really weird. Not normal weird but undead clowns worshipping a giant chicken kind of weird. This book had a certain crazy that went along with the weird and I think it was just a bit much for me at times. It was definitely unique and unlike anything else that I have ever read.

Darren and Lena get the chance to work for a catering company called Sin du Jour. Sin du Jour is not your normal group of caterers. They have a very original menu and clientele that sometimes come to them with special requests. Serving the wrong kind of meal could have devastating consequences for the employees of Sin du Jour. I thought that the way that the staff of Sin du Jour interacted with each other felt rather authentic.

The narrator was just okay for me as well. I believe that this is the first time that I have had the chance to listen to Corey Gagne's narration. I have to admit that I didn't care for some of the voices that he used especially for the female characters. It was difficult to determine who was talking at times. I thought that he did have a pleasant voice that brought excitement to some of the scenes but I was never quite able to completely move past my dislike for some of the voices used. I would probably be willing to give this narrator another try in the future with a different kind of story.

I think that some readers may enjoy this story a bit more than I did. It was a really interesting concept with some really exciting scenes. The book did cause me to swear off all chicken nuggets at least for a little while. I am probably not going to continue with this series but I am glad that I decided to give this story a listen.

Initial Thoughts
This was weird. Not normal weird but undead clowns worshiping a giant chicken kind of weird. It was definitely unlike anything else that I have read before. The narrator was okay. I didn't care for some of the voices that he used especially for the female characters.

Book source: Library via Hoopla