carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Eight Simple Rules for Dating a Dragon by Kerrelyn Sparks

Eight Simple Rules for Dating a Dragon - Kerrelyn Sparks

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This book was just a whole lot of fun! I have been a huge fan of this series since I read an early copy of the first book so I was really looking forward to this newest installment. The fact that I knew that there would be dragons in the book made it all just a little bit better. I went into this book with some pretty high expectations and I am happy to report that they were all met. I read most of this book in a single sitting because I didn't want to put the book down.

This is the third book in the Embraced series and while this book could be read as a stand alone, I do think that this is a series that works best read in order whenever possible. I have grown to love the characters that appear in this series and had a nice time seeing how some of them are doing. This book focuses on Gwennore and it was really nice to get to know her better in this story. I really like Brody's character and was happy to find that he played a large role in this story as well.

Gwennore is an elf and like her adopted sisters she has a special power due to her birth date. She has the ability to determine the cause of an illness through touch which makes healing possible. She has a close relationship with her sister's daughter and doesn't hesitate to put her life on the line to protect the child when she is kidnapped by a dragon. Gwennore soon learns that she can speak to dragons and forms a bond with her rescuer, Puff.

Silas is highly respected and carries himself with authority. He is also very easy on the eyes and is the kind of man that can make things happen. He has decided to watch over Gwennore while she is at the castle and takes on the role of protector. With her skills as healer, she can help the people of his country along with the queen.

I loved Silas and Gwennore together. I really thought that all of their feelings towards each other felt completely authentic. Silas is able to see things in Gwennore that others have missed. She is used to be treated poorly because she is an elf so she is surprised to find that Silas is genuinely interested. They had a lot of chemistry together and I loved the spark that seemed to fill the page when they shared a scene.

I would recommend this series to others. This was a book that brought a big smile to my face as I turned the pages. I loved that there was just a bit of humor mixed into the story at just the right times. I cannot wait to read more books in this fun series.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press.

Initial Thoughts
I had such a good time with this book. Gwen and Silas were both amazing characters and I loved them together. It was fun to see all of the different abilities of the characters take shape in this story. I really like how a bit of humor is worked into the story just when needed.