carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

This Fallen Prey by Kelley Armstrong

This Fallen Prey - Kelley Armstrong

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was such a good book! I really enjoyed the first two book in this series and was very eager to get started with this newest installment. I went into this book expecting really good things and I was not disappointed. This story was almost impossible to set aside and I ended up reading most of the book in a single day. This was a really thought provoking story filled with a whole lot of excitement. I had a lot of fun reading this book.

This is the third book in the Rockton series which works best if read in order. This story starts off with a bang right from the start. Casey, Eric, and the rest of the town are given a task that I would have never seen coming. They must keep a suspected serial killer in their town for the next 6 months. They don't even get any time to prepare for this event since he is dropped into their town with little more than a note as warning. Casey, Eric, and Will have to figure out how to safely contain the prisoner which proves to be a very difficult task.

I think that I like the characters from Rockton just a little bit more with each book. Everyone in the town is flawed or they wouldn't be there. We see things from Casey's point of view and I really enjoy seeing how she puzzles through certain situations. Eric takes on so many responsibilities and he takes them all very seriously. It is nice to see how much Casey and Eric respect and care about each other both personally and professionally. Storm, their puppy, also played a huge role in this book which I loved. Storm is a great dog and we really learn a lot about other characters in the book from the way that some of them chose to interact with her.

I loved the way the story was told. The mystery was very well done. There was just enough doubt given from time to time that I found myself in a constant state of wonder. There were times that I wondered what Casey was piecing together while other revelations hit me totally by surprise. I thought that it was great that a lot of this book takes place in the Wilderness outside of Rockton. It was interesting to see things play out with other groups in the region. I thought that the pacing was very well done with some really action packed moments offset by others that added a piece to the overall puzzle.

I would highly recommend this series to others. I think that this book was incredibly exciting with a mystery that kept me guessing right up until the very end. The characters and the whole concept of the town of Rockton are all very well done. This book did leave a few threads that I am sure we will see picked up in the next installment. I can't wait to read more of this wonderful series!

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press - Minotaur Books via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
This was such a good book! The characters are great and the story was exciting from the very start. This was a book that kept me guessing until the very end and more than a few surprises popped up along the way. This was one heck of a page turner.