carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone

The Hatching: A Novel - Ezekiel Boone

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was an excellent book! I have had this book sitting on my kindle for the past year and a half and have no idea why I am just now reading it. It really is as good as I heard. Maybe better. It was one of those books that I didn't want to set aside because I always wanted to know what was going to happen next. I am just glad that I finally decided to read this book.

This story was told a little differently. Each chapter focuses on a different character or set of characters. Readers do get to see these characters at various parts of the books and sometimes their stories overlap but the focus of this book stays on the spiders. Don't get me wrong, I did feel like I knew the key characters in this story by the end of the book. I really liked how each chapter was like another piece of an overall puzzle.

So this book is about spiders but not your everyday run of the mill spider. This book is about killer spiders, lots of killer spiders. These are spiders unlike anything the world has ever seen. They can kill with remarkable speed and are driven to do so. When a nuclear bomb is detonated in China, officials initially believe it is an accident but they soon wonder if it was really in response to the spiders.

I was amazed by how realistic everything in this book seemed. I am really not too worried about giants waves of man eating spiders but I thought that the reactions to an extreme emergency felt genuine. I thought that the government's response to the situation wasn't outside the realm of possibility if there was a threat on this kind of level. I liked how this book really let the reader into the heads of people on all sides of the situation.

I would highly recommend this book. I think that this was an incredibly entertaining book with a whole lot of excitement. I am really excited to continue on with this series because I need to know what happens next.

Initial Thoughts
Why did I wait so long to read this book? I mean I have had this book for a very long time and am just now reading it. I am mad that I waited so long because I loved this book! It kept me thinking and waiting to see what would happen next. I liked the fact that the focus doesn't stay on any character for very long because the focus stays on the spiders. This was frightening on so many levels.

Book source: Kindle purchase