carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Brightest Embers by Jeaniene Frost

The Brightest Embers - Jeaniene Frost

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

My feelings are a little mixed on this book. I liked it but it didn't wow me in any way. This is the third book in the Broken Destiny series which really does need to be read in order since each book builds on the events of the previous installments. I thought that this book brought the series to a satisfactory conclusion and was a fairly quick listen.

Ivy and Adrian continue their quest for the hallowed weapons that they began at the start of the series. They need to find the spear before anyone else can get their hands on it. The problem is that should Ivy decide to use the item it will most likely kill her. Ivy wants to do what is right and Adrian wants to protect Ivy. Can they both achieve their goals?

Ivy got on my nerves in this installment a little more than I remember from previous books. At times, it seemed that she was just trying to create drama. In the last installment, Adrian and Ivy were in a good place in their relationship but of course that can't last. It just seemed like unnecessary drama to me. She also had such a hard time figuring out something that was painfully obvious to me that I had begun to doubt her intelligence. She didn't drive me crazy throughout the whole book. There were times that she seemed really strong and willing to sacrifice herself for the greater good. It is just that when she annoyed me in this books she really annoyed me.

I thought that this book did some things really well. There were a few surprising revelations that I did not see coming. I really enjoyed the scenes with Brutus in the book. He became my favorite character in the series because of a few of the scenes in this book. I did feel that the ending of this story was a bit rushed and would have liked to see just a bit more to really help wrap the series up.

Tavia Gilbert did a great job with the narration in this book. She handles a variety of characters very well along with a wide range of emotions. Her voice was very pleasant to listen to and I found myself able to stay focused on the story for hours at a time. I would not hesitate to recommend her narration.

In the end, I thought this was a decent trilogy and I am glad that I read it. I do prefer Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series but found this trilogy to be interesting and unique. I look forward to reading more from this talented author.

I received a review copy of this audiobook from Blackstone Audio, Inc. via Audiobook Jukebox.

Initial Thoughts
I don't know 3 stars? 4 stars? Somewhere in there, I guess. I liked the book but found that Ivy got on my nerves more than I would have liked. She also had a hard time figuring out something that seemed pretty obvious to me. I thought that the ending was a bit rushed and would have liked a bit more to wrap things up. I really enjoyed Brutus in this book. The narration was very well done and it was a pretty quick listen.