carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Barking Up the Wrong Tree by Jenn McKinlay

Barking Up the Wrong Tree (Bluff Point Romance, A) - Jenn McKinlay

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really enjoyed this romance. I had such a good time with the first book in this series, About a Dog, when I read it earlier this year so it was a given that I would want to read more of the series. I will admit that I was a little surprised when I saw this book was about Carly and an unknown character named James. I had kind of thought that we would see Carly and Zach end up together but it looks like they are truly just friends. I was quickly won over by James and ended up really enjoying watching him win Carly over.

The characters in this book are great. Carly is just full of life. She had to come back home to her parents' home after losing her job. She doesn't come alone. She has just inherited a senior dog and a bird with a colorful vocabulary. Carly doesn't do relationships. One night stands are fine but that is where she wants things to end. I liked Carly from the start and loved watching her try to figure out where she wants her life to go.

James was nearly perfect. He was kind, funny, and easy on the eyes. He wants more than the one night stand Carly is offering. He quickly shows that he will do what is needed in order to keep Carly near him so he can convince her to give a relationship a try. I loved James from the start of the book and fell a little bit more in love with him with each page.

Carly and James made a great couple. They had some amazing chemistry and I really enjoyed their banter. There really were just as many comical moments in this book as tender ones. There was a point in the book that Carly seriously overreacted which kind of annoyed me. James made a rather boneheaded statement which annoyed me fairly equally. I did really enjoy the book so I guess all is forgiven.

I would recommend this book to others. This is the second book in the Bluff Point series but could easily be read as a stand alone. I thought that this was a great romance filled with wonderful characters including 2 awesome dogs and a talkative bird. I am really excited to start reading the next book in the series.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Berkley Publishing Group via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
I liked Carly and James a lot. Carly was great even though she was afraid to let herself be in a relationship. James melted my heart a few times during the book. He does make a pretty boneheaded move towards the end of the book but I guess I can forgive that. All in all a nice romance with a couple of cute dogs and a talking bird to round out the cast.