carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

The Hating Game: A Novel - Sally Thorne

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was such a cute story! I went into this book with extremely high expectations. I have seen so many 5 star reviews for this book that I just had to give it a try myself and was thrilled to catch it on sale recently at Audible. I thought it was good and I liked it but I didn't love in the way that some other reviewers did. Don't get me wrong....this is a great story but it wasn't as mind blowing as I had expected it to be. I did have a lot of fun with this story and really enjoyed my time listening to it.

Lucy and Joshua work together and are always up against each other. This story is told from Lucy's point of view and she does look at the world in a very interesting and often funny manner. Lucy sees Joshua as her nemesis which is why she pays such close attention to everything he does. When they both are going for the same job, tensions are high since only one of them will get the position.

I loved Lucy and Joshua. Lucy was a bit naive but I really liked her innocence. She leads a rather solitary life that really is centered around her job. Joshua was really easy to love. He was such a nice guy but didn't always know how to handle Lucy. It was really obvious how much they cared about each other even before either of them realized it. They were just so cute together!

I enjoyed Katie Schorr's narration. I think that her voice was perfect for Lucy's character. She was able to bring the story to life and added a lot of emotion to her delivery. I thought that her delivery made the funny parts just a bit funnier and the sweeter moments just a little sweeter. I ended up listening to this book for hours at a time and had a lot of fun with it.

I would recommend this book to fans of contemporary romance. I loved the blend of a sweeter romance and humor. All of the games that Lucy and Joshua played with each other brought a big old smile to my face. I am very impressed that this is Sally Thorne's first novel and look forward to reading more of her work in the future.

Initial Thoughts
This was entertaining. I liked the dynamic between Josh and Lucy. There were some really sweet moments and some other moments that made me chuckle a bit. I thought that this was a really cute story.

Book source: Audible Purchase