carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Winter King by C.L. Wilson

The Winter King - C.L. Wilson

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was good! I have heard great things about this book since its release date. I am really not sure why I waited so long to pick it up. I am glad that I listened to all of the recommendations and finally read this wonderful story. I was swept away into this world and fell in love with the characters. It was the kind of book that I didn't want to put down. I really enjoyed reading this story.

Wynter, the King of Wintercraig, has just defeated the Summerlea and has come to claim a princess as part of the bargain. Khamsin is the daughter of the Summerlea King but she is not one of his treasured daughters. She is the daughter that he depises and keeps hidden away. The Summerlea King agrees to the deal and forces Khamsin into the role as bride.

Wynter and Khamsin have fantastic chemistry from the start but they have a lot to learn about each other. At the start of the story there is no trust between them and they are prone to thinking the worst of each other. They are both good people and as they spend time with each other they start learning that their assumptions may not be accurate. It was really quite nice to watch this pair open up to each other. I fell in love with both of these characters and loved watching them pull each other out of their shells. They really seemed to be made for each other.

Wynter must deal not only with his new bride but also with the Ice Heart which threatens his life. He has been able to control it so far but those around him question how much longer that control will last. I thought that the Ice Heart was a nice aspect of the story. It was really interesting to watch Wynter with his internal struggle. Khamsin must deal with life as an outsider in a realm where her brother is a known enemy, having sparked a war. I really felt all of Khamsin's emotions as she navigated her new world.

I enjoyed the world at the center of this book. There were so many vivid details to the story that helped bring everything to life. I thought that Wynter and Khamsin both had really interesting powers that nicely complimented each other. There were a few really unique creatures to keep things very interesting. Everything came together perfectly to form a well told story.

I would highly recommend this book to others. It was the perfect blend of romance and fantasy with enough action to keep the pages turning. This was a rather long book at around 600 pages but it didn't feel long. In fact, it was over all too soon. I can't wait to read the next book in this series!

Initial Thoughts
This was good! Once I really got into the book, I didn't want to put it down. Too bad that this was a busy week and life kept getting in the way. I really liked the characters and the world that they lived in. There was a lot of growth for Kham during the course of this book. Very exciting!