carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Don't Let Go by Harlan Coben

Don't Let Go - Harlan Coben

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was oh so good! I have been a long time fan of Harlan Coben's work so I went into this book with some pretty high expectations. This book met all of those expectations. It was literally a book that I did not want to put down and I ended up reading it cover to cover in less than a day. The story grabbed me from the very beginning and didn't let go until the last page. This book was filled with all of the twists and turns that I have come to expect from Harlan Coben.

The story is told from Nap's point of view. Nap is a New Jersey Detective with his own sense of right and wrong. His twin brother, Leo, and Leo's girlfriend, Diana, died together back in high school. Most people think that it was a double suicide but nobody really seems to know what happened. Nap's high school girlfriend, Maura, disappeared at the same time as his twin brother's death. Nap has always been somewhat desperate to learn what really happened.

When Maura's fingerprints are discovered at the murder scene of another high school classmate, Nap starts trying to piece everything together. He learns that not everything is as he thought it was and secrets have been kept from him by those he thought he could trust. As he learns more about that night, he realizes how much he really doesn't know. Can he piece together everything from all of those years ago before it it too late?

I thought that the writing was great. I loved the fact that I never could guess where this book was going. There were so many twists and turns in this novel that the excitement level of the story never wavered. I was truly surprised by so many of the revelations and found myself reading the book at a furious pace to find out what would happen next. The pacing of the book was perfectly done with action scenes spaced out around more thoughtful ones. I felt Nap's desperation to learn the truth behind what happened to his twin and wanted everything to come out okay in the end. I was delighted to see one of my favorite characters, Myron Bolitar, make a quick appearance in the story.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of mysteries with lots of twists and turns. This book was very fast paced and incredibly hard to put down. I can't wait to read more of Harlan Coben's work!

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Publishing Group - Dutton Books via Edelweiss.

Initial Thoughts
This was oh so good. It grabbed me from the beginning and didn't let go until the very end. So many twist and turns that I was never quite sure which direction the story was going to go. I must say that I was absolutely thrilled when Myron made a quick appearance in this story.