carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Late Show by Michael Connelly

The Late Show - Michael Connelly

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really enjoyed this book. It has been quite a few years since I last read a book by Michael Connelly. I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy his writing but it came back to me pretty quickly once I started reading this book. I made the decision to read this book largely based on the fact that it was the start of a new series that sounded pretty interesting. Once I started reading, I had a really hard time stopping because I had to know how things would work out.

This book features Renée Ballard. She is a detective in Hollywood working the midnight shift or the Late Show. Renée and her partner don't keep the cases that come up on their shift instead they focus on doing the initial processing before handing it off to someone on the day shift. Renée was transferred to the Late Show after accusing her former supervisor of sexual harassment.

The book opens with Renée and her partner on the job. They deal with a theft and then go immediately to deal with a severe assault that has left the victim near death. Before they can leave the hospital to collect evidence at the scene, they are pulled to work on a night club shooting that has left several people dead. Renée doesn't want to let these cases go and keeps trying to figure out what really happened.

I liked Renée even though I didn't always like the things she did. There were a few times that she seemed to step over the line just a bit. As the book progressed and I got to know Renée better, I understood that she really wanted to do what needed to be done to find justice for the victims. She was a really unique character and her home life was not at all what I would have expected.

The story was really exciting and the mystery was rather complex. There were a few things that happen in the story that I didn't see coming at all. I love all of the twists that this story took and I honestly didn't figure anything out until it was revealed in the story. I loved how the story flowed with equal focus on the mystery and learning about the characters as they worked to solve the cases.

I would highly recommend this book to mystery fans. I found this to be a very well-written story filled with interesting characters and a solid mystery. I am really looking forward to following Renée on more cases as this series continues.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Little, Brown and Company via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
It has been several years since I last read a book written by Michael Connelly. I had almost forgotten how good his books are but it came back to me quickly as I starting read The Late Show. The characters were interesting and the cases that were featured really kept me guessing. This was a very solid and well told story. I am really looking forward to following this new series.