carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Hearts We Sold by Emily Lloyd-Jones

The Hearts We Sold - Emily Lloyd-Jones

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was good. Really good. I went into this book with next to no expectations and am quite shocked by how much I ended up enjoying it. I was hooked right away by the story and only put it down when I had absolutely no other choice. There was enough action in the story to really keep my interest level high. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to read this wonderful story.

I found the story to be really original. Demons are present and can grant wishes for anyone willing to make a trade. Most demons require body parts like an arm or a leg in exchange for a wish. Dee ends up making a deal with a demon that asks for something a little different: her heart. He holds her heart for two years while she works for him in exchange for what she needs. Sounds like a reasonable trade doesn't it? Okay, maybe not.

Dee must work with a group of teens that have made a similar bargain with the demon. Their task is risky but they work together really well and make quite the team. I really liked all of the characters in this book. Each member of the group had a really interesting backstory that really helped to bring them to life. Dee's life at home is anything but ideal and she has always had to be the responsible one and take care of herself.

This book isn't a romance but there is some romance to the story. The romance doesn't overpower the story but is a really nice added element. Dee and James connect with each other right away. They really did seem to understand each other and were there when the other needed them to be. I liked how open with each other they were and thought that their relationship felt very genuine.

I would highly recommend this book to others. This was a story that really grabbed me from the start and entertained me to the very end. This is the first book by Emily Lloyd-Jones that I have had a chance to read and I will be looking for her work again in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Little, Brown Books for Young Readers via TheNovl.

Initial Thoughts
I am really quite surprised by how much I ended up enjoying this one. And that ending....wow!