carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Two Nights by Kathy Reichs

Two Nights: A Novel - Kathy Reichs

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

Well, this was disappointing. When I saw that Kathy Reichs had written a stand alone novel, I knew that I wanted to read it. I have really enjoyed her books in the past and was looking forward to this book. This book never clicked for me and I found myself constantly setting the book aside. There were some parts of the book that I did enjoy and I never really considered not finishing it but it wasn't a story that did much for me.

I think one of my main problems with this book is that I didn't care for the characters. The focus of this book is Sunday Night, or Sunnie. Sunnie is an ex-cop that carries a lot of scars both physical and emotional. She was paranoid but had a lot of skills that were put to the test as she tried to find out what happened to the girl she has been hired to find. There are sections of the book spread throughout the story that talk of Sunnie's past. I thought that learning her backstory was way too drawn out and by the time any real information was given I had lost interest.

The mystery never grabbed me. I just had a really hard time getting into the overall story. Of course, I wanted to know what had happened to the girl but the story seemed to move really slow. Everything was a waiting game wrapped up in Sunnie's paranoia. It just felt like it took really long time for things to get moving. So much so that this turned into a book that I kept checking how much more was left just because I wanted to be done with it.

The writing felt really choppy with lots of short sentences that never really flowed. There was a lot of really traumatic things happening in the story but I never felt like any of the characters had a single emotion. I did think that the book had a good start. I like the idea of Sunnie. I like that she was quirky and a little different but that feeling faded quickly.

I am not going to be recommending this one. I think that anyone interested in reading Kathy Reichs should start with the Temperance Brennan series which I loved. I haven't read the whole series but have read the first 13 books or so in that series and really enjoyed them and actually plan to re-read the series at some point. This book was a miss for me but I do look forward to reading more of her work in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
I had a lot of hopes for this book. I have enjoyed all of the previous books that I have read by Kathy Reichs so I was excited to read her new stand alone novel. This was disappointing. I didn't care of any of the characters and found the story to be boring.