carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Final Girls by Riley Sager

Final Girls - Riley Sager

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

Meh. I am so incredibly disappointed by the fact that I didn't really care for this book. Based on the description, I was so sure that I would fall in love with this book. I do think that my opinion will be in the minority with this book. Based on all of the reviews that I have seen so far, most people are really enjoying this book and I predict that it will be very popular.

I didn't hate this book but I didn't really like it either. This was one of those books that I really didn't connect with any of the characters and by the time the big twists started happening, I just didn't care what happened. The book was a bit different than I expected. Since the description mentions a horror movie-scale massacre, I expected the book to be pretty gruesome. I wanted gruesome because I am weird like that. There are a few more bloody scenes but not like I had thought it would be.

This book is told from Quincy's point of view. Quincy is a Final Girl which means she was the only survivor from a nightmare that killed her friends. She is deeply affected by that night years later. I just never liked Quincy. Not at all. Since the whole book is told from her point of view, it was really hard to enjoy the story. Most of the book is really about what is going on in the present time period with Quincy and Sam, another Final Girl.

I am not going to be recommending this book but I do think that a lot of readers will like it a lot more than I did. There were a few twists that I wouldn't have ever been able to guess and the premise was pretty interesting. This is the first book by Riley Sager that I have read and I would be open to trying his work again in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Dutton via First to Read.

Initial Thoughts
Meh. I was really looking forward to this book but it ended up not being what I had expected it to be. I didn't care for the characters and so much of the story seemed implausible. When the big twists finally came around, I found that I really didn't care anymore.