carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Wildling Sisters by Eve Chase

The Wildling Sisters - Eve Chase

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I would say that this book was just okay for me. I decided to read this book because the premise sounded really interesting. The story opened with a bang and I was pretty sure that I had made a great decision in picking up this book. After just a few pages, things slowed down. All the way down. I found myself setting the book aside to clean and I hate cleaning. About a third of the way into the book, I seriously considered adding it to my dnf pile and moving on to something else. I decided to read just a bit more before quiting and it did pick up. The second half of the book was much more interesting to me and I am glad that I hung in there a bit longer.

This is a book that is told in two different periods of time. One story is set in 1959 and features Margot and her three sisters. The other story is set in the present time and features Jesse and her family. The connecting link is Applecote Manor. I knew that eventually the two stories would come together but it took a very long time for that to happen. I found the story that was set in 1959 to be much more interesting than the present day at least for the first half of the book.

I did really enjoy this book a lot more once the two timelines started to come together. Both timelines became much more interesting and I wanted to learn what happened to Audrey all of those years ago. I felt for her parents and thought that the way it impacted their lives was illustrated very well. Margot was an interesting character but I never got to really know her sisters very well. Jesse's story really focuses on the relationship between Jesse and her step-daughter Bella. I wanted to see them work things out and come to trust each other more as the story progressed.

I think that I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if it had been told in with just one timeline. As soon as things would get interesting, the time would shift and it slowed everything down for me. I am glad that I read the book but it isn't a favorite. I would like to read more from Eve Chase in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from G.P. Putnam's Sons via First to Read.

Initial Thoughts
I had a really rough start with this book. I seriously considered giving up on it around page 80 since I really wasn't enjoying it all that much. It wasn't bad but I found myself putting it down to do other things constantly. The second half of the book did pick up and I found myself more focused on the story. It was an okay read in the end.