carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

A New Leash on Love by Debbie Burns

A New Leash on Love - Debbie   Burns

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really enjoyed this book. I was pleasantly surprised very early in the book when I realized that the story was set in St. Louis. It is always a lot of fun to find some familiar places worked into this kind of story. I really liked how much of a role the shelter played in the story. The animals and the shelter are a big part of this one. This was a really well told romance that had a very realistic feeling.

Megan and Craig meet in a rather difficult situation for both of them. Let's just say things don't go too well for either of them at their first meeting. They both really show how mature they are and their second meeting is definitely improved. They find themselves really being drawn to each other as they spend more time together. Their relationship really moved at a natural pace.

Megan works at a no-kill animal shelter. She is actually the one who is running the place on a day to day basis. She has a lot of responsibility to deal with and her job can be really tough at times. I loved all of the staff at the shelter and the animals really were wonderful. I thought it was a whole lot of fun having so many animals play an important role in the story.

Craig has had more than his fair share of heartbreak. He really was such a good man. He is very focused on being a good dad to his children. He wants to do whatever is in his power to make their lives better. He isn't really looking for a relationship when he meets Megan but knows he needs to take a chance.

I really liked the characters in this book. Megan and Craig were both incredibly likeable and they seemed so perfect together. I could totally see this pair together for the long haul. There are a few dramatic moments and I liked how everything worked out in the end. Nothing in the book was overly drawn out and the pacing of the story was very well done.

I would recommend this story to fans of contemporary romance. This was a really heartfelt romance with characters that have been through a lot. This is a debut novel from Debbie Burns and I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the next book in this series.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Sourcebooks Casablanca via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
I liked this one. I was really surprised that it was set in St. Louis and I had a lot of fun seeing some familiar places mentioned in the story. I really enjoyed how much of a role the animals played in this story. Craig and Megan made a great pair.