carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Killer Jam by Karen MacInerney

Killer Jam (A Dewberry Farm Mystery) - Karen MacInerney

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I enjoyed this book. I was in the mood for a cozy mystery and really wasn't sure which one I wanted to read when I spotted this book in Amazon's Prime Reading. I actually had no idea that there were audiobooks included in the program but that is a whole other story. I decided to borrow this book and take a chance on it since it was the first in a series. It turned out to be a whole lot of fun in the end.

Lucy has just bought her grandmother's old farm in Buttercup, Texas. She really wants to make a go of it and is busy making jams and trying to contain her wandering cow. She runs into problems right away when a truck shows up on her property to look for oil. She learns that when she bought her farm the previous owner, Nettie, retained the mineral rights and there isn't much that she can do to stop her from looking for oil.

I guess pretty early on that Nettie was probably not going to be around for very long. I couldn't stand her character and kind of wanted her to come to a quick end myself. The sheriff is convinced right away that Lucy must be responsible and really doesn't work to hard to actually look for any evidence so it is up to Lucy to prove that she is innocent.

The mystery kept me guessing and I was really never quite sure who the villain would be in this story. There was actually a lot to this story in addition to the mystery. Lucy's best friend is dealing with a difficult situation and Lucy does her best to help. There is even a bit of romance with the local vet who seems to be a pro at catching wandering cows. I loved that there was a touch of humor spread throughout the book.

I enjoyed the narration in the end. This is the first time that I have listened to Teri Clark Linden and it did take me a little bit to get used to her style of narration but that is actually pretty normal for me. Once I really got into the story, I really enjoyed the narration. I think she did a great job with all of the different voices in the story and her pacing was perfect. I would definitely listen to her narration again in the future.

I would recommend this book to fans of cozy mysteries. I thought that this was a fun story filled with some really great characters. This was the first time that I have read any of Karen MacInerney's work and look forward to reading more of this series in the future.

Initial Thoughts
I enjoyed this book. At first, I wasn't sure that the narration was going to work for me but after a bit, I really started to enjoy it. The mystery was complex enough that I never quite had things figured out and I really liked the characters. I am glad that I picked this one up.

Book Source: Amazon Prime Borrow