carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

All the Best People by Sonja Yoerg

All the Best People - Sonja Yoerg

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was a really well done story. When I first noticed saw this book, I honestly didn't give it a lot of thought. I have never read the author and hadn't really heard much about it. For some reason, I went back to it and read the description and was intrigued so I decided to give it a try. I am so glad that I did. This was a book that really stayed in my head and made me think about everything that goes along with mental illness. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel.

This book was told from multiple points of view and in different periods of time. Carole is a wife and mother leading a pretty normal life. Alison is her 11 year old daughter and the youngest child in the family. Janine is Carole's younger sister who happens to work at Alison's school. The other story that we are told is that of Carole's mother, Solange, who resides at a nearby institution. Each of these voices really worked together to tell the story well.

Carole is noticing that she is starting to have a hard time with some tasks that never caused her trouble before. She has always taken care of the shop's books but it is becoming difficult. She is hearing voices and she can't get the sound to stop. She doesn't want to go anywhere and she is not being the mother that her children need her to be at times. She is terrified about what is going on in her mind.

Alison needs her mom. She knows that something isn't right but nobody else in the family seems to think it is a big deal. Sure, her father is pitching in on some of the things her mother can't seem to get done but it isn't quite the same. She tries talking to her aunt Janine but nothing seems to happen.

Solange's story was my favorite part of the book. We meet her at the very start of the novel when Carole visits her at the institution but I wondered what her story really was. Solange and her husband, Osborn, fell in love and got married. They were from different classes and over time they learn that a lot of their beliefs were quite different. Solange was smart and opinionated and I was really curious about how her live changed so dramatically.

The writing was very well done. I really felt like each of these characters were telling me their story. I felt Carole's fear regarding the changes she couldn't control. Alison's desperation to get her mom back to normal was nicely illustrated. I really liked the fact that we learn Carole's past through Solange's story and then from Carole's memories. Each piece of the puzzle really came together to tell a story with a big impact.

I would highly recommend this book to others. It is a very well done story of a family touched by mental illness. The characters are extremely well done and the writing flows. I look forward to reading more of Sonja Yoerg's work in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Berkley Publishing Group via First to Read.

Initial Thoughts
This was very good. Well written and hard to put down. A really well told story about mental illness.