carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Crushed (A Redemption Novel)

Crushed (A Redemption Novel) - Lauren Layne This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4.5 Stars!

I fell in love with this book! I have never read anything by Lauren Layne before this book and now I am sitting here wondering why I have missed this author. I have read so many romance novels that lately I have starting feeling a little bored by them. I have blamed myself and have tried to mix things up a little bit by reading other genres. After reading this book, I realize that I still like a well written romance novel as much as I ever did.

I find that I usually like a book about as much as I like the characters in the book. There are exceptions to that rule of course but speaking in generalities the characters oftentimes really can make or break a story. The characters in this book really are phenomenal. I adore Chloe. Chloe has lived her life in her sister shadow in a lot of ways. Chloe is funny, smart, and says what she is thinking. Chloe is not the Barbie doll that her sister, Kristin, is and has not had a luck of luck when it comes to romance. Chloe has actually been in love with her sister’s longtime boyfriend, Devon, for a very long time.

Michael has had his world turned upside down. He comes to Texas to try to figure things out and has plans to get close to Devon and Kristin. Michael meets Chloe during one of her tennis lessons and after a little bit of banter Chloe has a new personal trainer, Michael. Michael and Chloe say what they are thinking to each other and soon realize that they are becoming friends and maybe feel a little bit more about each other.

This book did so many things well. I was pulled into the story right away and really had a hard time putting this book down until I was finished. The characters were perfect. Chloe was so easy for me to relate to. I loved that she wasn’t perfect and needed to learn to gain some control over her life. I loved that the focus was never on Chloe losing weight but on her gaining control and becoming healthier.

Michael had a few moments that made him look a little bit like a jerk but because half of this book is spent inside of his head you realize that he is really just as confused as anyone else. I think that the alternating points of view in this book were perfectly executed and I just loved getting to know what both Michael and Chloe were thinking. Not only did this book do a great job with characters that I love, I can’t believe how much I grew to hate some of the characters, namely Kristin and Devon.

I love to laugh and this book accomplished that goal. This book was funny without trying too hard. The banter between Michael and Chloe was top notch. I liked the fact that the story was able to balance the funny moments with the more emotional moments. This is still most definitely a romance novel. I really liked the fact that this book was able to bring a couple together by getting them to really get to know each other.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes a great romance with a few laughs. I can’t wait to get my hands on some other books by Lauren Layne because her writing style is just wonderful.

I received a copy of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.