carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Every Little Thing: A Flat Vernacular Coloring Book

Every Little Thing: A Flat Vernacular Coloring Book - Payton Cosell Turner This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I am completely disappointed with this coloring book. I grabbed my first coloring book designed for adults just a couple of weeks ago and promptly fell in love with it. When I saw that I had the opportunity to review another one, I jumped at the chance. I am very glad that this was not the first one that I had a chance to really see up close because I would have probably never picked up another one of these books again if this is what I thought they all looked like.

I loved the description of the book. I loved the 80's and really looked forward to seeing some really fun items from my past worked into the artwork. I did see a few toys that I remember from my childhood including a Popple, Monchichi, Care Bear, and Rubik's Cube but these items were not in the book often at all and when they were it was in a way that didn't make any sense to me.

I would say that the primary focus of this book was really animals. I love animals so that is not a problem. The problem was that these animals were poorly drawn. I seriously HATED the artwork. I could draw some of these animals better than what is shown in this book. I may have missed my calling.

In addition to disliking the artwork, I found that the grouping of the designs to be strange. The randomness of the items sharing a page really didn't work. I expected a kaleidoscope of pattern but it is really just a collection of unrelated items thrown on a page. I also found that there was a lot of unused space in the book which I didn't like.

The book is made of thick quality pages complete with a dust jacket. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this coloring book to anyone. I think that there are a lot of better options currently available on the market.

I received a copy of this book from Blogging for Books for the purpose of providing an honest review.