carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Last Mile

The Last Mile - David Baldacci This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I am loving this series! When I first got my hands on this book, I decided to take a look at it which is quite normal for me. I usually thumb through a new book taking note of the number of pages, font size and other basic attributes. My eyes landed on the first page of this book and I didn't come up fro air until I had read 100 pages. I hadn't planned to read this book quite yet but I simply couldn't put it down.

Both the story and characters in this book were wonderfully done. Amos Decker is a very interesting character. He remembers everything...literally. At first, this sounds like it would be a fantastic trait to have but when you start to thing about it, there are things that are best forgotten. This book also featured Melvin Mars, a man on death row for the murder of his parents. While Melvin has always claimed his innocence, he starts being taken seriously when another made confesses to the crime.

Amos feels compelled to find the truth regarding the crimes that have kept Melvin in jail for the past 20 years. Things get complicated as they trace the past to try to find the truth. Melvin works with the team to try to get to the truth since he has been released from jail. At times, things become very dangerous as they get closer to the answers that they are looking for.

The way this story was laid out really kept me guessing. I was never quite sure exactly how everything would come together but I had faith that Amos would find the right piece of evidence to solve the case. The twists and turns in this book really kept me guessing and the book ended up in areas that I would have never dreamed.

I would highly recommend this books to mystery fans. Amos Decker is a unique detective and love what his special abilities add to the story. This is the second book in the series but could be read a stand alone with little difficultly. I can't wait to see what case Amos will be asked to solve next!

I received a review copy of this book from Grand Central Publishing for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
When I first got my hands on this book, I decided to "look" at it....and didn't put it down for 100 pages. Great story with interesting characters make this a great read.