carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Sleeping Giants

Sleeping Giants - Sylvain Neuvel This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I have mixed feelings about this one. I couldn't get enough of this book when I first picked it up. I was hooked. I started telling people to read this book before I even finished it. I was that in love with the beginning of the story. I kept reading and while I never disliked the book, the story started to drag and I found that I wasn't enjoying it like I had been.

This story is told differently than most. Most of the book is told in the form of interviews. I really did like the conversational quality to the flow of the book. One of the biggest mysteries in the book has nothing to do with the robots. I was almost desperate to find out the identity of the individual conducting the interviews. Seriously....who is this guy? There are a few journal entries to add into the mix but the bulk of the novel is told as a series of interviews. I really liked this method of story telling at the start of the book but I started to tire of it before the story was over.

The idea behind the book really got my attention. A giant alien robot scattered around the world sounds like a dream to me. I loved learning along with the characters and really wanted to dig a little deeper into the alien technology. The second half of the book seemed to move away from discovery into politics which I did not find nearly as enjoyable.

I didn't connect with any of the characters in this story. I felt like I only got to know most of the characters at the surface level. The interviews are divided up between quite a few characters with Dr. Franklin, Kara, Victor, and Ryan being the key players along with the US President's aide. The character that actually shows up the most in the book in the nameless interviewer who started to become more lifelike by the end of the story but only to a small degree.

I do think that a lot of readers will really enjoy this one. It is unique in its method of story telling with a very creative plot. I did enjoy it even though I didn't fall in love with it. This book is listed as being the first in a new series and I will most likely pick up the next book just to see where this story will end up going. This is the first book that I have read by Sylvain Neuvel and I wouldn't hesitate to read his work in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine Del Rey via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.