carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Fool Me Once

Fool Me Once - Harlan Coben This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I loved this book! I am a huge fan of Harlan Coben's work and have been so for years. I have enjoyed some of his books more than others but I have yet to come across one that I didn't like. I have come to expect a few things from a Harlan Coben book over the years. I love the twists and turns found in his stories and I really enjoy seeing Mr. Coben's sense of humor work its way into the books. This book exceeded all of my expectations and even through in some things that I hadn't expected. This book is one of Coben's finer novels in my opinion.

This book opens with a bang. Maya is at her husband's funeral. He was murdered and his killer has yet to be caught. Maya's young daughter isn't even old enough to understand what is going on. I was immediately drawn to Maya. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to be in her position. The police are still questioning her about what she saw when her husband was killed. They are relentless and don't seem to want to give her any chance to grieve her loss. Maya has lost a lot. Her sister has also recently died. It really seems like Maya has experienced more tragedy than anything else recently.

After her husband's funeral, Maya's friend suggests that she get a nanny cam to keep an eye on her daughter's caretaker. She puts the device in her home but when she checks the video she can't believe her eyes. She finds her husband who is supposed to be dead on the video with her daughter. Maya finds herself with more questions than answers and she starts taking steps to find out what is really going on.

This book took me to places that I never expected and that is what made it so wonderful. Everything that Maya learned just brought up more questions. There were times that I thought I knew where the story was going only to be quickly proven wrong and be pulled into another direction. The way the story was told worked well and the plotting was very detailed. We spend the entire time with Maya and see all of the steps that she is taking in her own quest to learn the truth. I love a story that can keep me guessing and I was completely shocked by the things that I learned by the end of the story.

I would highly recommend this book to others. I really think that any reader who enjoyed a cleverly plotted book filled with twists and turns will enjoy this one. I plan to continue to read Harlan Coben's work and can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Publishing Group - Dutton via Edelweiss for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
I loved this one! I never knew which way things were going to go and I was guessing until the very end. Highly entertaining!

Before Reading
Woo Hoo...My request was approved!! I can't wait to read this one!!