carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Stranger

The Stranger - Harlan Coben This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4.5 Stars!

I have been a fan of Harlan Coben for a very long time. I have read almost every book that he has published and I have been lucky enough to meet him twice. I am always eager to get my hands on any new book that has his name on the cover. I realize that I expect a lot out of a Harlan Coben book. I not only expect not only to be entertained but to be completely sucked into the story having no idea what twists will happen next. This book was trademark Harlan Coben and was full of twists and turns and I found myself guessing until the very end.

Adam is living the dream. He is a married father of two boys and works as a lawyer. Adam's life is turned upside down by The Stranger. Adam doesn't know who The Stranger is but the things that this man tells hims makes him doubt the trust that he has in his wife, Corinne. Everything about his life suddenly feels threatened and he confronts his wife with what he has learned. Corinne leaves telling Adam that she needs some time through a text message.

As you would expect in a Harlan Coben book, this book takes a few turns and at times it is hard to see how everything is going to come together. Several different storylines play out during this book each one have a role in the final outcome. I didn't fall in love with Adam during this story but I found myself imagining what I would do if I were in his situation. I really liked Johanna's character. She seemed to be able to see what was really going on and worked to solve the problem.

This was a book that I had a very hard time putting down. I read it every chance that I got and would have finished it in a single day if I hadn't need to go to my daughter's band concert. The pacing of the story was perfect. Coben is a master at keeping a reader completely interested in the story and his writing was fantastic. I did think that some of the things that happened in this story were a bit far fetched but nothing was completely out of the realm of possibility.

My one issue with this book was the ending. I am still not completely sold on how this story came to a conclusion. In that final dramatic scene, I am not sure that all of the characters acted in a manner consistent with the rest of the story. More than anything the ending left me wondering about whether or not they would have behaved as they did. I definitely found myself surprised by the end and that is a very good thing.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a fast paced mystery with lots of twists and turns. If you have not yet read a Harlan Coben book, please do yourself a favor and pick one up as soon as possible. I cannot recommend this author enough.