carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

I Kissed a Rogue (Covent Garden Cubs)

I Kissed a Rogue (Covent Garden Cubs) - Shana Galen This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This was a rather nice historical romance. This is the third book in the Covent Garden Cubs series and I have read them all but each one of the books can easily be read as a stand alone novel. I would have to say that this book was my least favorite in the series but only by a slight margin. I thought the story was a bit silly at times but I was kind of in the mood for silly so it worked out for me.

Lady Lila has been kidnapped. Her father, a Duke, goes to Brook for help in finding Lila before it is too late. Brook is successful in finding Lila quickly but soon realizes that she may still be in danger since she was targeted for the kidnapping and witnessed another crime while she was being held captive. As a way to keep her safe, Brook agrees to marry Lila but plans an annulment as soon as her captors are found.

Lila seems rather spoiled at the start of the story. As the daughter of a Duke, she has led a privileged life with servants to do things for her. When she was younger and first encountered Brook, she wasn't very nice and liked to play with other people's emotions. Brook has not forgiven Lila for crushing him when he proposed to her years ago but Lila has changed. Some of her spoiled behavior really seems to come from the fact that this is how her life has always been. She doesn't know how to do some tasks simply because someone else has always been there to do them for her so she hasn't had the chance to learn.

Brook had a hard time letting go of his anger towards Lila. Even though he has changed in the years since he proposed, he doesn't seem to believe that Lila could have changed just as much even though it seems to be obvious. When they flee to the country in order to hide from Lila's kidnapper, they have the chance to get to know the people that they have become since their initial meeting.

I liked Brook and Lila as a couple. Brook is a genuinely nice man who wants to make sure that Lila is kept safe. Lila is ready for a bit of independence from her father and has learned a bit of compassion from caring for her mother prior to her death. They do have some great chemistry and there are more than a few sexy times in the story to keep the heat up.

The overall plot may have been a bit far fetched but it was still a lot of fun. I did find myself thinking that certain parts of the story were rather silly and overdone but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the story. The suspenseful part of the story is really pretty minor and rather easily resolved. This story is really about Brook and Lila falling for each other.

I would recommend this book to fans of historical romance. I have read several books by Shana Galen and have enjoyed all of them so far. I can't wait to read more of her work.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Sourcebooks Casablanca via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
I was in the mood for a light Historical Romance so I decided to read this one. I enjoyed this one quite a bit and really ended up liking the characters.