carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Steelheart

Steelheart - Brandon Sanderson Buddy read with a fabulous group of people - Robin (Bridge Four), Athena (Shardbearer), Armina, Gavin, Kat Stark, Evengy, Desinka, Alexa, Shandra, Annette, Nicholas, Ashley, Eon, Kristen, and Danae

On the
Reckoners Group Read Thread

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4.5 Stars

Because sometimes, you need to help the heroes along.

When I saw a bunch of my friends on Goodreads were planning a buddy read for this book, I decided to jump right in and I ended up having a blast with this book. I really went into this book somewhat blindly. I didn't really look to see what the book was even about. I just know that my daughter had this book and I kept seeing how good it was. I like good books so I just went with it.

This book ended up being so much fun! I was immediately hooked on this book from the opening line. I think that this book does a better job of grabbing the reader right away than almost anything else that I have ever read. Seriously, the prolog of this book is absolutely amazing. I quickly figured out that this was a superhero kind of book but with a twist - the superheros, or epics, are the bad guys. Wow! That twist never crossed my small mind, not even once.

I didn't have many philosophies about life, but one of them was something my father had taught me: never throw the first punch. If you had to throw the second, try to make sure they don't get up for a third.

The Reckoners are trying to stop the epics. They target specific epics and carefully plan before exterminating them. David, who lost his father to Steelheart, hopes to become a part of the Reckoners group so he figures out where they might be and somehow gets himself noticed. The Reckoners are quite the group. I absolutely loved Cody and Abraham. The Professor was quite interesting and a great leader. Tia was a kind of behind the scenes characters who missed out on a lot of the action. I liked Megan at times and didn't like her at all at other times.

David quickly becomes a part of the group largely because of the knowledge he has about Steelheart. He has seen him bleed and has therefore seen his weakness. The question is can the group figure out what that weakness is? David was such a great characters. He would be brave on minute and take unnecessary risks the next. He would seem like a child at one point and wise beyond his years at others. David is incredibly smart and focused but can't seem to figure out how to make a decent metaphor.

"Wow," I said. "It's like...a banana farm for guns."
"A banana farm," Megan said flatly.
"Sure. You know, how bananas grow from trees and hang down and stuff?"
"Knees, you suck at metaphors."

The beginning and the end of the book were filled with non-stop action. There were a few twists that I didn't see coming but I wasn't completely shocked either. The middle parts of the book contained a lot of planning and to be honest, I missed the fast paced constant action. I loved that this book was funny at times. David's inability to construct a metaphor and Cody's general personality made for quite a few laughs. The story was completely unique and the world building was fantastic.

I would highly recommend this book to others. This was the first book by Brandon Sanderson that I have read and I can't wait to read more of his work. I definitely plan to continue with this series.