carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Heiress and the Hothead

The Heiress and the Hothead - Sabrina Jeffries This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This was a nice short story. I sometimes enjoy a complete story that can be read and a single sitting and this one had a lot of great things going for it. This story is listed as being part of a series but it reads perfectly well as a stand alone. I was pulled into the story almost immediately and found myself really enjoying myself as I read.

This story focuses on Amanda, who owns a cotton mill in America, and Stephen, who is working hard on factory reform. Stephen assumes that Amanda's factory has to similar to the ones he has witnessed. Amanda is a different kind of factory owner. She actually cares about her employees and works hard to ensure their safety. Amanda agrees to an interview with Stephen but only if he introduces her to some of his sources.

I liked Amanda and Stephen as a couple. They have immediate chemistry with each other from the start of the story even though they disagree on just about everything. As they spend more time with each other, they both learn that things are not always as it seems. I loved the sections of the book with the mistletoe - it was just a lot of fun.

My only complaint about this story was the oddly placed sex scene. I don't feel like a sex scene is a necessity in a romance novel although I do enjoy them when they are well written and help advance the plot. A sex scene squeezed into a book in an unnatural location isn't sexy. This pair are in a burning building and it looks like they are going to perish. Do they keep working to find a way out? No. They decide that this is the perfect time to have sex. It just didn't feel realistic to me at all.

I would recommend this novella to fans of historical romance. I had a lot of fun reading the story even with the oddly place sex scene. The characters were fun and intelligent. I plan to read more of Sabrina Jeffries work in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
Nice short story...but with an oddly placed sex scene.