carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Gone Again: A Jack Swyteck Novel

Gone Again: A Jack Swyteck Novel - James Grippando This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I absolutely loved this book! I first stumbled upon this author about 10 years ago and have yet to be let down by one of his books. I am pretty sure that there may be a book or two of his that I have missed along the way but I have read the bulk of his work. The Jack Swyteck series is smartly written. I love how much this character has developed over the course of the series. I really like that each new book in the series can still be easily read as a stand alone so new readers can feel comfortable jumping in at any point.

Jack Swyteck is back at the Freedom Institute and working on a death row case. He doesn't really plan to get involved in the cases there but he doesn't need a lot of convincing to jump into this particular case after a visit from the victim's mother. Dylan Reeves is due to face execution very soon for the rape and murder of Sashi Burgette. Sashi's body was never recovered and her mother is convinced that she is still alive.

Jack is soon leading the fight to win Dylan a little bit of time so that they can figure out what really happened. The quest to find out what actually happened to Sashi takes more than a few twists and turns as the story moves forward. I was never quite sure who was being honest and who should be trusted. I liked all of the courtroom scenes and the legal maneuvering that was part of the story. Jack and the rest of the crew spend more than a few late nights trying to get everything done in time.

I enjoyed the writing style immensely. The legal process was nicely balanced with the fact-finding detective work. The inclusion of some less than trust worthy characters really kept me wondering what was going on. I really had no idea where the book would end up or how it would get there. I simply couldn't not put this one down and read the book from cover to cover in less than 24 hours. The story really does pull you in right away and doesn't let go until the very end.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of mystery thrillers. James Grippando is an author that never disappoints and has created an incredibly intelligent and smart character in Jack Swyteck. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book by this very talented author.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from HarperCollins Publishers - Harper via Edelweiss for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
I loved this book! I honestly don't think that I have ever been disappointed by anything written by James Grippando. Jack Swyteck is an awesome character and the case that he was working on in this novel kept me guessing until the end.