carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Not Quite Dead

Not Quite Dead - Sela Carsen This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Mondarbre Press via Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

2.5 Stars

To sum this story up with one word...silly. To be perfectly honest, I expected it to be silly. I mean I knew going in that this was a story about someone coming back from the dead. Notice the title of the story....Not Quite Dead. I was looking for a fun read with maybe a sexy vampire or sexy zombie....wait can zombies be sexy?

Ok, scratch the sexy zombie idea
OK, scratch the sexy zombie idea.

I did not get any zombies in this story but I did get a vampire. He was not the main character or anything but at least this story is set in a world where vampires exist.

This story was short at about 70 pages so it can easily be read in a single sitting. According to Goodreads, this novella was originally published in 2006 so this edition is a re-release. Sabine is at the graveyard with her cousin and her cousin's friends who are trying to raise the dead at the local graveyard. Willem, who has been dead about 100 years, finds himself with a chance to avenge his murder. He goes to his former home where Sabine lives. Sabine plays hostess to the formally dead Willem, preparing his shower and cooking for him. This seemed a bit over the top silly to me. Why would she let a stranger into her home, especially someone that has been dead for the past 100 years? This setting seems more like the start of a horror film than a paranormal romance to me.

The pair work together to avenge Willem's death while becoming increasingly attracted to each other. They even hit the local sonic for a milkshake while they try to figure everything out.
This was another over the top silly moment for me. Who takes a man who has just risen from his grave to avenge his death to the local Sonic? The fact that Sabine is a teacher at the local school and her students are hanging out at this Sonic makes it even sillier.

I had a hard time coming up with a rating for this story. I usually just rate book based on how much I like a story. I did not hate this story but I did not love it either. I kept thinking either a 2 or 3 so I am going with a 2.5 rounded up to 3. It was short so the extreme silliness did not bother me too much. If this level of silliness was in a novel length story, I do not think I would be so forgiving.

This is not a story that I would actively recommend to anyone. If you think that this is your cup of tea, then I would say go for it....but do not plan on anything life changing to happen as a result. I have actually never read any other works by Sela Carsen. I would be open to trying another story from this author at some point in the future.