carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

You

You - Caroline Kepnes This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

Do you know that feeling when you finally get around to read that one book that all of your friends seem to love? You know..that book that you have been saving for a special occasion because you know that you are going to love it just as much as everyone else seems to? Then you read that book and cannot figure out what all the fuss was about. That pretty much sums up my relationship with this book. I didn't hate it but I definitely didn't love it either. My four star rating is an extremely generous rating but I decided to bump this book up just for its originality.

I loved the idea of this book. A book about a stalker sounds pretty good right off the bat but the fact that the book is told from the stalker's point of view really took everything up a notch. I thought that I would really like being in Joe's head but once I was there, I found out that he rambles....a lot. Joe's rambling inner dialog is really what kept this book from being great for me. I was really ready for him to do some horrible things just so he would stop with the rambling.

The book did have some really exciting moments. Joe's obsession with Beck is truly frightening at times. The way that he is able to find out so many things about her so easily is quite scary to think about. The things that Joe is willing to do in order to make sure that he can have Beck all to himself was beyond anything that I could have imagined. I did enjoy the second half of the book much more than I did the first largely because the more intense moments occurred in the second half of the story.

There were a lot of things that I really liked about the book and looking back at it I do remember a lot of amazing moments. My issue with the book was that I found it very easy to put down. It seemed to take forever for this book to get to the good stuff and I am just impatient I guess. I didn't like any of the characters in this book. I went in thinking that I would love Joe but I really didn't. All of the other characters in this book annoyed me.

I did like this book and plan to read the next book in the series very soon. I may have went into this book with unrealistic expectations. I would recommend this book to anyone looking to spend some time in the head of a true psychopath.

Initial Thoughts
So...I am going to give this book a very generous 4 stars. I had went into it completely expecting to love everything about this book. I ended up finding it very easy to put down. Joe's voice was oftentimes rambling and really kept me from connecting to the story. I liked the overall concept and there were a few surprises along the way. I did enjoy the second half of the book when things really started happening much more than the first.