carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

The Drifter

The Drifter - Nicholas Petrie This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I enjoyed this one a lot. I love a good mystery with a lot of action and The Drifter definitely qualifies on both counts. This book has that something extra that I am always looking for in a book. The characters in this book really make it come alive. I found that the time I spent reading this book went very quickly because I was so engrossed in the story. This was exactly the kind of book that I love to read.

Peter is veteran and is finding adjustment to civilian life to be a challenge. He is suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which seems to manifest as extreme claustrophobia anytime he finds himself indoors. When he finds out about the death of his Marine friend, he comes to help out his wife in any way he can. He starts out by doing a few home repairs but he soon finds something under the porch that changes everything.

I thought that the best thing about this book was the characters without a doubt. Peter's character was written in a way that showed both his strengths and his weaknesses. I had a lot of respect for Peter during the course of this story. After everything he has been through, he is still fights for what is right. Dinah has also been through a lot in dealing with her husband's death after his return from serving overseas. She is kind, responsible, and tough when she needed to be. Lewis really grew on me as the story progressed and I absolutely loved him by the end of the book. Mingus was an awesome character. This dog brought a lot more to the story than I could have ever guessed.

I really enjoyed the way that this book was written. It started out with a lot of excitement and even a bit of humor and it never dragged. The story unfolded bit by bit with the mystery slowly unraveling. I couldn't make any kind of guess as to where everything was going until it happened. There was a lot of action and the book kept a rather high level of excitement with excellent pacing. I liked the fact that we saw quick glimpses from the point of view of the bad guys in the story but not enough to give any of the plot away.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of mystery thrillers. I am actually quite surprised to learn that this book is Nicholas Petrie's debut novel. I am looking forward to reading future works from this very talented author.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Group - Putnam G.P. Putnam's Sons via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.