carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Bryant & May and the Secret Santa: A Peculiar Crimes Unit Story

Bryant & May and the Secret Santa: A Peculiar Crimes Unit Story - Christopher Fowler This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I love a good mystery. I had actually never heard of the Bryant & May series when I saw this short story listed on NetGalley. I am always on the lookout for a new mystery series so I decided to read this short piece as a way of sampling the author's writing and try to get a feel for the series. This story was really short but enjoyable.

This story is part of the Bryant & May series which is a long standing detective series. I doubt that anything in the short story will end up being important to the series but it was a nice episode in Bryant & May's caseload. There really wasn't much of a mystery to be solved but it was really interesting to see how they went about solving the case.

This story focuses on the death of an 11 year old boy just outside a department store. Bryant and May are called in to investigate the death. They focus on the store's Santa since the boy had just visited with Santa before running from the store. There were a couple of pieces that needed to be fit together in order to solve the mystery.

I liked the way the writing in this story flowed. The main characters were just wonderful. They had a camaraderie that was a lot of fun. Their personalities really complimented each other well. I would imagine that long time fans of the series will want to pick this one up just to spend a few minutes with Bryant & May.

I would recommend this story to both long time readers of the series and the inexperienced like myself. I would definitely be interesting in checking out one of the full length books in the series after reading this story.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Alibi via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Initial Thoughts
This was pretty short. I haven't read this series before but I would definitely be interested in checking out one of the full length books. There wasn't a whole lot of mystery in this short story but I really enjoyed the writing style.